All 25 games for the upcoming THE400 Mini, the modern mini recreation of the Atari 400, has been revealed and they’re all 8-bit classics.
In a press release sent to Retro Dodo, Paul Andrews, Managing Director at Retro Games Ltd. spoke about the included games and described the process of selecting the including titles as being ‘important for us to make sure we included a diverse range of games with THE400 Mini‘.
The pre-installed list for THE400 Mini certainly includes a variety of titles. Arcade classics such as Missile Command and Asteroid are bundled alongside sporting classic Basketball, platformer Flip and Flop and sci-fi shoot ’em up Star Raiders II.
“Many collectors want to preserve the art form that is video games, and we hope that our pre-installed titles will excite these gamers“, Andrews continued. “We hope that retro gamers and collectors will like what we’ve put together”.
THE400 Mini Lineup
Here is the full list and a brief description of the titles that come pre-installed on THE400 Mini:
- Airball: Navigate through a 150-room mansion, avoiding hazards while solving puzzles.
- Asteroids: Your ship is trapped in an asteroid belt, blast boulders and enemies to survive.
- Basketball: Dribble, shoot and pass your way to sporting success.
- BattleZone: Save the world in this shoot ’em up by outmaneuvering rebel Supertanks and UFOs.
- Berzerk: Blast robots, escape Evil Otto and dodge laser fire in this frantic shoot-em-up arcade game.
- Boulder Dash: Dodge boulders, collect jewels, escape caves and complete puzzles solo or with a friend.
- Bristles: Help Peter the Painter paint walls while escaping enemies in this colourful platformer.
- Capture the Flag: Capture the flag in this action 3D maze game.
- Centipede: Wield a bug blaster to clear the enchanted mushroom patch in this coin-op classic.
- Crystal Castles: Guide Bentley Bear through Bethilda’s maze, avoiding enemies while utilizing power-ups.
- Elektraglide: Race futuristic motorbikes and avoid obstacles across the UK, USA and Australia.
- Encounter!: Command a starship in this space shooter while surviving fast battles with strategic agility.
- Flip and Flop: Control Flip the Kangaroo and Mitch the Monkey in a daring Zoo escape platformer.
- Henry’s House: Navigate as tiny Henry in this platformer, collecting items, finding keys and escaping traps.
- Hover Bovver: Play as Gordon Bennet in this quirky maze game.
- Lee: Master martial arts in this classic platformer.
- M.U.L.E.: Turn-based strategy in which you colonize a planet and outwit settlers. Play solo or with friends.
- Millipede: Play as the Archer in this Centipede sequel and prevent the bugs from taking over.
- Miner 2049er: Control Bounty Bob in this action platformer while destroying mutants and collecting items.
- Missile Command: Defend cities with your missiles in this classic shoot ’em up.
- O’Riley’s Mine: Play as miner Tim O’Riley and collect treasure, avoid hazards and work your way back to the top.
- The Seven Cities of Gold: Explore, negotiate, and establish colonies in this ground-breaking action strategy game.
- Star Raiders II: Pilot the Liberty Star and destroy Zylon bases in this renowned space shoot ’em up.
- Wavy Navy: Command a ship, avoid missiles and planes, and become the strategic leader of the navy.
- Yoomp!: Guide a rhythmic bouncing ball through suspended levels in this unique platformer.
THE400 Mini Features
If the 25 pre-installed titles for THE400 Mini aren’t enough for you, gamers will be able to side-load their own ROMs using a USB stick. There will also be support for additional games using cartridge, disk and cassette ROMS.
THE400 Mini micro-console is coming to market thanks to a collaboration between publishers Plaion and Retro Games Ltd. Included with the new console is THECXSTICK, a faithful recreation of the of the classic Atari CX-40 joystick.
If classic controllers aren’t your bag then THE400 Mini is also compatible with a range of USB controllers.
Modern quality of life improvements are present in THE400 Mini too, such as the ability to play games in high definition at 720p at either 50 or 60HZ via the integrated HDMI output. Save states and a rewind mode are included along with five USB ports for any combination of controllers, keyboards and USB sticks.
THE400 Mini will release on the 28th March 2024 and retails for £99.99/€119.99/$119.99 with preorders available from the Retro Games website.
This article may contain affiliate links. If you use these links to purchase an item we may earn a commission.
Theo first fell in love with gaming when he sped through Green Hill Zone in Sonic the Hedgehog back in 1991. Theo has previously provided reviews, news coverage and articles for The Games Cabin and enjoyed producing comedic Let’s Plays on his own personal YouTube channels.
A huge Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear fan, Theo enjoys deep gameplay mechanics and complex storylines. A completionist by nature, Theo has earned over 140 platinum trophies including top digital trinkets for Stardew Valley, The Witness, Bloodborne and a plethora of GTA games.
Outside of gaming, Theo can often be found riding his motorbike, headbanging at gigs or out in the countryside exploring nature and marvelling at the ‘realistic graphics’.